Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday:Read Alouds

Read Alouds have been something I have always loved and implemented. I have found though, that it is a lot easier to read one on one. But, because I have felt it important to read to the kids as a group too, I have tried different ways to work it. One thing I have found does work, is to read to them while they are eating lunch. I get everyone situated at the table with the meal and I sit with them and read. This way, they are actively doing something but sitting still and the same time. I don't set a certain number of pages, some days 5 is plenty and some times they will sit through several chapters. We do picture books as well as chapter books. Another way we have tried to do it, is to have Dad read to them before bedtime. A crowd favorite is the Narnia Books. This is not regular as it won't work everynight for us. But we do it preiodically throught the year.

It works for me!!!

No comments: